Adding Color to Your Life: 60-30-10 Rule

If you have an interest in decorating or interior design, then you most likely know about the 60-30-10 Rule which can help you balance colors in your home or office. It’s a relatively simple rule to apply to any redecorating project.

Applying the 60-30-10 Rule

First of all, you need to keep in mind that this does not have to be a precise formula. You should think of it as a guideline for experimenting with a palette of 3 colors. These colors can vary in both tone and shade in order to help you create a space that looks and feels aesthetically pleasing.

The 60%: According to this rule, 60% of your space needs to be painted or covered by a single color. The color could be the paint on most of your walls and or large accent pieces like furniture or carpeting. Basically, this color acts as an anchor and a backdrop for the other 40%.

The 30%: Your secondary color is half the amount of your primary color. Consequently, you can use this color to paint an accent wall, in your draperies/linen or furniture. Your secondary color should supports the main color, but at the same time, it should be different enough to set the two colors apart in order to create contrast and a more interesting space.

The 10% : The remaining 10% of the color will act as an accent. This color can be part of your decorative accessories, artwork, on fabric or small pieces of furniture. This color should enhance or liven up your space. If you, however, are not quite satisfied with a single accent color, your could try adding another 10% to this formula just to make things a little bit more interesting.

Applying the 60-30-10 Rule to a Monochromatic Color Scheme

If your goal is to create a relaxing and soothing atmosphere, it is possible to use the 60-30-10 rule with a single color. Instead of applying different colors to this formula, you can use varying tones, shades, and tints of the same color. It is a simple and easy way to create a harmonious look and also make the room look larger, so it is ideal for small spaces at home or at the office.

If you need help choosing colors, Armstrong is ready to help. We offer a FREE Color Consultation with national award-winning color consultant Bob Buckter.

Put our 50 plus years of knowledge and experience to work: call or complete a simple online form for an estimate and Free Color Consultation now!

Back to Media

Real Protection

Flat roofed homes are unique and offer sleek lines, designed with style. However, flat roofs come with their fair share of problems.


Ask your Question

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    Learn more about our Privacy Policy.